Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Challenge: Day 2

Alright guys, here's my post on (my) 2nd day of The Challenge. :o)

I did get up and read this morning. I must say, it was a little bit harder than yesterday, but I made myself do it. This morning's chapter was on A Joyful Heart. It was really good. It challenged you have a joyful heart around your husband, and children. Well, since I don't have any children yet, and I don't stay home all day, I decided that I would work on having a joyful heart around my husband, and the people that I work with. I usually have a hard time being very happy at work. Customers annoy me, and the day drags on, and I just want to go home. So I have been making it a point to be more happy today.

The chapter today told a story about "The Ugly Hillbilly" and how she was really -physically- ugly, but every time they went in the store that she worked at, she always had a flock of men around her laughing, and having a good time with her. She always had a smile on, and was always ready for "a good clean joke" and always had the glow of laughter about her. The writer's husband even commented that she was "cute". One day they saw her in the grocery store with her daughter, who she was very upset with. Gone was the smile and glow of laughter. In it's place was an ugly snarl. The husband remarked that the lady looked familiar, and when his wife told him who it was, he was stunned. He could not believe that it was the same woman.

Our attitudes have a lot to do with the way people look at us. *Goodness, even as I'm typing this God is revealing things to my heart.* I'm not saying that we should run around laughing and smiling like maniacs so people will think we're pretty. The point of the lesson was that, our attitudes affect our relationships. People like to be around other people that have good attitudes, and a joyful heart and spirit. This applies to marriage relationships, and it applies to friendships, co-worker relationships, parent-child relationships, all relationships in life, this principal applies to. This isn't to say that we're not going to get discouraged about things in life. We're not going to walk around 24/7 with a grin on our faces, unless we're on crack, and I wouldn't advise that to anyone. And this isn't to say that there aren't times to be absolutely sober, because there are. But on a day to day basis, it's a good principal to live by to have a joyful heart, and bring smiles to those around you.

I feel like this didn't come out at all the way I wanted it to, but I can't seem to make it work, so maybe this is the way the Lord wanted you to see it. Who knows. :o) Anyways, I love you all, and encourage you to jump on The Challenge Bandwagon! :o)

4 comments:

Jenn said...

So...I totally failed at my Day 2 challenge but I'm with you all the way...I am sure this will be really good for me. I will be posting about it as well. Love you!!!

Kassandra said...

That's what this is for - so we can encourage eachother to press on, and be in the Word every day! It's a support system. :o) Love you too. :o)

Anonymous said...

Thanks for that Kassandra, I love the story and it totally made sence. I am on the bandwagon and I plan on trying my hardest to do this with you. I did not read yesterday but I am planning on starting tonight. I need this because I am just not a big reader in the first place, but I want Harley to grow up seeing her mother read the Bible. When she is my age I want her to look back and remember there was not a day that went by that I did not have my Bible out reading it. We read to her everynight almost out of her childrens Bible. I love the facts that she takes in intrest in the pictures and some day I pray that she will become a strong Godly women. I Love you Kassandra!
Amber

blondevue... said...

Hey, thought I would add a comment on here about what Amber said. I know from experience that it will make a difference if your daughter see's that you read every day Amber.
Growing up, my Mom was always so busy. 5 kids to take care of, errands to run, helping my Dad build a house a few times, there was always something to do.
Well my Mom Loves to read. She always has a few books by her bed, and says if she ever gets time she wants to read them. Well those books sit there and sit there, because there is always something better that needs done.
But one thing I have seen in her that has never changed, is that she will take the time to read her bible. Sometimes its in the morning, sometimes its late at night, others its during the day when the kids are all set up on their school subjects.
It made an impact on me when I was younger, and still does. The fact that her priorities were straight. She would love to read those other books, or somedays felt that other things needed to be done. But she always makes it a point to read her bible first.
I hope that all of our daughters (and siblings or families for some of us) grow up to see the impact reading the bible has on us, and in turn on them.
I haven't always been able to stick to reading my bible everyday. But God has given me so much precious time here, time that needs to be used wisely. So I am thankful for the challange. Once I start work, I know it will be harder. But the purpose is all the greater, to stick with it, so we can better stick to Him.
Love you girls...
Tori