Monday, November 24, 2008

Changes

So, I'm thinking it's time for a few changes in my personal life. Changes that could certainly help me with my "Have You Ever..." post a few days back.

I woke up at 6:00 this morning, willingly - that statement in and of itself will most likely cause the jaws of my readers across the nation to drop, if they know me at all. :o) Last night I had a stern talking with myself about how I needed to get up earlier in the mornings, A) because I seriously need to be spending some time in the Word, as all Christians do and B) I seriously need to stop being so lazy, and getting up at the last possible minute every morning. I need to stop being so rushed, and I need to stop being late to work (even if it is only a minute, or two, or three, as it happens to be most often, not that anyone at work really cares, but late is late, and I don't want to be seen as that type of person). Now, don't get me wrong - I have had this talk with myself MANY A time before, but I'm telling you, when morning comes, and that blasted alarm goes off at 6:00 IN THE MORNING, I am a different person, and all reasoning for getting my lazy hide out of bed flies out the window. But for some reason, this morning, I was able to do it, probably because last night, I laid out my Bible, my book, and a notebook on the kitchen table (I tend to follow through better for anything when I am prepared), and probably because I asked the Lord for help in this area, and probably because I set my alarm for 5:45, so that I could snooze it 3 times (my phone has a 5 minute snooze instead of a 9 minute one. I'm sure I could change it, but it seems to be working for me) before I actually needed to get up. Waking up gradually is the best way for me. I can't just hear the alarm once and fly outta bed, ready to face the day. I need to be awoken in gradual, gentle sections. Normally, it's the sound of Mike's alarm going off a couple times, then hearing him get up, then hearing him in the shower, then hearing him open the bathroom door, and seeing the bit of light that comes peeking in, that does it for me, and I'm finally up and out of bed. Well, today, I got up all on my own - a full half hour before Mike was up. Now, someone tell me that isn't impressive! :o)


Anyways, enough about HOW I get up - you would think it was a science or something...hmm... maybe with me it is. :o) I digress.

It's the WHY I got up this morning that is the important thing. I'm the type of person who has a hard time JUST reading the Bible. I need direction, and a theme as far as what I'm reading. So, I've been thinking about what to do. I thought about going out and buying me a new devotional book, but that does take money. Not that we don't have any, it's just better to NOT run out and spend it all the time. :o) Well, a while back - before I was married, that is - I read the book, "Created To Be His Help Meet". While it was a good book, I can't say that I remember a whole lot from it, because I am a practical application type of person, and this was a practical application to marriage type of book. While I was told to try to apply it to my relationship with my dad, I did find that a little hard. Anyways, I read the book, thought it was good, and put it on the shelf to be read again later in life - when I was actually married. Well, that time has come. I feel that I'm not being the best wife that I can be. I'm sure that a large part of that has to do with the fact that I don't have the Spirit dwelling in me as I should, which is where being in the Word comes in. So, this morning, much to my own amazement, I wandered down the stairs, grabbed a blanket off the couch, and sat down at the table. I opened my book, and began to read. At the end of each chapter, it gives you more scripture to look up, and so I did that. I don't think I was thinking clearly enough, so I didn't write down anything in my notebook this morning, but I'll try to be better at that. Writing things down, is definitely a way to help me remember things. Today's chapter, focused solely on being a help meet to your husband. It was a short chapter, more introductory than anything, but still I learned stuff. :o) At the end of the chapter it gave a sort of challenge, to find ways to serve and help your husband, starting "today". So, I decided to do something right then and there. I got up from the table, and got my husband's breakfast ready for him. I know that this isn't anything major for you to ooh and ahh about - that's not why I'm writing this post anyways - but I believe that by getting into a routine of doing little things like this daily to help him out, and to serve him, other bigger things, will come naturally in time. Not that I shouldn't try to help him in bigger ways from the start, and not that I won't, it's just when you get in the habit of doing things, it all just starts to come naturally with time and diligence.

I am optimistic about this quest that I am on. I believe that as long as I stay with it, and keep up a positive attitude, nothing can come from this but a better marriage, and hey, who can complain about that? Not me, certainly.

Now, I know several people who absolutely refuse to read this book. They think it's extreme, and blah blah blah. By reading it, I am not saying that I agree with EVERY single word this woman writes. Why should I? She is human after all, and I do not have to agree with everything she says. But, she does have many valid points, and a lot of good advice, that if taken to heart can only improve a marriage. Wouldn't you think that that would be reason enough to read it? I mean, the worst that could happen is you disagree with absolutely every word that she has said, and you walk away a little ticked off because she pricked your pride. So what? The best that could happen is your whole outlook on life, and marriage, and serving the Lord, has changed for the better, and you walk away from it with a lifetime of advice and a wonderful marriage. Anyways, I'm not trying to convince you to read the book. I'm just talking. It's a free country (for now, anyways. who knows what we will turn out to be when this is all over? ah, the Lord knows. Let's not worry about it.) so you can read, or not read whatever you like. But, you might miss out on a huge blessing if you never swallow your pride and read it. But like I said, do whatcha want. :o)

Anyways, for those who have never heard of it, it's called "Created To Be His Help Meet" By Debi Pearl.

Alright, that's enough for now. Hope you all are having a wonderful day. :o)

11 comments:

Mrs.Lambert said...

you certainly are long winded for such a little girl(:

ive been reading this book off and on throughout my marriage,and it is a HUGE encouragement and challenge to me.one of my favorite books as far as devotional guides go.im actually working on chapter five right now!!!(: i like to read the whole chapter,then go back and read it in sections day by day with all the scriptures,and devotional challenges she gives you in the journal.

keep it up...even if you forget some days,or let it slide,just keep trying to feed yourself.its easy to fall in and out of habits, depending on whats going on in your life,but the important part is to keep trying.dont consider a little setback a failure,its just a setback!!!(:

Kassandra said...

Haha, I knew that you would probably be bored with this post, Ang, since it's all words, and you get bored with all words. Haha. :o) Aww man, I was even going to put a joke at the end of this post just for you, but it took me a good bit of the day working on it, on and off to get it done, so I forgot. Oh well, maybe next time. :o)

Anyways, thanks for the encouragement. Everyone needs a bit of that every now and then. :o) Hugs!

It's a good life said...

That book is extreme. But extremely good too... (: and I'm not even married. Glad things are going better for you... Waking up and reading your bible really does change your entire day.

Jenn said...

I'm so glad you are reading the book and taking the advice given. It has made my marriage TONS better. I'm praying for you. I'm actually reading through that book again in the mornings too. Maybe we can have a little wives chat about it. Love ya!!!

Anonymous said...

Thanks kass, I needed that. Although I already get up so early (4:45) I will find it even harder than you to get up earlier to read. But that does not mean that I should not read. So I will start this challenge quest with you. I will read at night before bed. I had that book at one time (it was sent by a friend to me by another lady in your church when I got married), but I no longer have it. So I will start studying something else. I have a great devotional book that love to read. Thanks for letting us wives realize that even though things seem good in our marriages, there is always room for improvment. Love you!
amber

Kassandra said...

That would be great Jenn. Thanks for your prayers. :o) Love you too.

Happy Girl said...

Ok, well I was just writing you another novel on here to comment, but I think I'm just going to email you.

Kassandra said...

I'm likin the email idea. :o)

Florida Girl said...

First of all--this post is amazing and I would have read every word even if it would have been ten books long. Everything you said is absolutely right on and you could not have said it any better. You are very, very wise and I hope you know that. Thanks for typing it all out--I needed every word of it and you conveyed it perfectly as always. :) Love ya!

Anonymous said...

You go girl.
If you're ever looking for another book try Woman after God's own Heart. Love that one.
Wow...if yall make it like a challenge I'll probably be unable to stop myself from joining in....

blondevue... said...

Apparently, I haven't been on here in a while. Because I have a few of your posts to catch up on! But I am so glad that you are going through The book again. And even happier that you are reading the verses at the end. Its amazing how Gods word can make such a change. Right now for my daily devotion I have been working thru the New Testiment, but you are right it is hard if you don't sit down and have a purpose. A few Wednesday nights ago, the pastor here taught on reading with a purpose. Finding each of Gods promises as you read. I hope you stick with this, it will be so worth while everyday I know.
Love & Miss you!
Tori